You all know that fruits juices, carrot and beetroot juice, green smoothies are great for the health of your skin, as much as you know that 'smoking is injurious to your health'. But really, what more!
Neither can I drink juice all day long, access to fresh hygienic juice is difficult, washing the juicer everyday will anyways kill me, and the blood sugar spike that fruit juices cause is seriously not recommended for a lot of people with certain health concerns.
So what does one drink first thing in morning to kickstart the day, at tea time on a lazy afternoon, during the endless office meetings, when catching up with the girl-gang and it is not wine-o'clock yet?
First, let's talk about what you really want to avoid - coffee, as huge a coffee lover as I am, drinking coffee everyday and in large quantities is not doing your skin any good; next - sugary sweet drinks, quitting sugar for just a week will make such drastic changes to your skin that you'll get my point; and lastly - milk and drinks that contain milk, now don't get me wrong, if milk works for you then please have it, however you cannot expect to have great skin while drinking milk because all commercially produced milk contains components of the hormone testosterone that stimulate the oil glands in the skin.
Here's a list of the six incredible beverages that you must add to your day for some great health benefits along with getting that beautiful glowing skin.
PS: below picture is not edited (in fact, none of my pictures are), except for the auto-enhance feature on Wix that changes the brightness and contrast levels for screen viewing. Clicked on iPhone XS.
1. Matcha - starting your day with matcha tea is literally magical for your skin and overall health. This anti-oxidant rich drink releases energy gradually, unlike coffee that causes an adrenaline spike in the blood, a sharp rise and a sharp drop in energy levels, eventually causing adrenal fatigue, while matcha provides a healthy and sustained boost by releasing caffeine slowly. A lot of people mistake matcha and green tea to be the same, but matcha has a very unique nutrient profile because of how it is harvested and processed, resulting in higher amino acid content. Unlike coffee that induces anxiety, matcha improves focus and relaxation. The strong antioxidants of matcha are linked to cell damage prevention and neutralising free radicals in the body. It is also packed with minerals and vitamins.
2. Flower Teas - hibiscus, rose, rosehip, blue-pea, chamomile, lavender, calendula, dandelion,..are known for their exceptional antioxidant properties that give skin elasticity, have anti-ageing properties and and provides protection by neutralising free radicals that is essential for optimal skin health. Hibiscus is not only a great source of vitamins, zinc and iron but it also has natural AHAs that are absolutely essential for getting that glow on. Calendula extracts act as a conditioner for the skin and stimulate collagen production for that suppleness. Dandelion is slightly bitter but super important to detox and support liver functions. Rose and rosehip specially contain flavonoids, polyphenols, catechins, lycopene and carotenoids, all of which help with fine lines, wrinkles and skin healing.
3. Kombucha - it is essentially a fermented tea, with a fizzy sweet-sour flavour that comes from a special microbial culture. Kombucha is incredible for the gut microbiome and creates a healthy gut by creating a healthy microbiome culture in our digestive systems. Having a clean and healthy gut is the basis of clean and healthy skin. Think of it this way, what you are on the inside will always reflect on the outside, in more ways than one. It is insanely beneficial for clearing up acne and brighting the skin.
4. Ginger Lemon Water - a cool variant with pink salt for summer and a warm version with honey for winters, in all its simplicity is pure gold. As it clears up your ama - mucous and undigested substances, from our system, it paves way for better absorption of nutrients from the foods we eat. Anti-inflammatory properties of ginger are very calming for the skin. Ginger and lemon together provide hydration which is essential for that smooth complexion.
5. Coconut Water - this nature's electrolyte has surprising amounts of potassium which plays an important role in regulating blood pressure. By maintaining the electrolyte balance in your body, coconut water aid in improved digestion while preventing bloating after meals, indirectly leading to clear healthy skin. Hydration that coconut water provides is unparalleled to any other drink.
6. Chlorophyll - yes, chlorophyll; just pure chlorophyll! A few drops in a glass of water everyday heals the skin from inside out. In addition to detoxing the entire body it has reverse ageing properties, specially for cases of photoaging, which is a result of extensive sun exposure. Chlorophyll is a natural deodoriser ensuring that in addition to looking great, you also smell great.
Remember, nothing works in isolation! Your health and also your skin is affected by your sleep, foods you eat, exercise routine, hygiene you maintain and the chemical exposure. Having said that, little changes everyday do compound together resulting in improved health and lifestyle over time. So make the right choices of beverage today and glow up!